Monday, November 11, 2013

thank you

he's my favorite veteran. this is how i think of my dad when i think back on my "childhood." him walking up the driveway after a long day in his uniform. taking his hat off and holding it in his hand as he walked in the house to join us for dinner. he served over 20 years in the United States Air Force. because of the man that my dad is, i'm sure he did great and amazing things in all the stations he was assigned and in all the positions that he held. i'm certain that his wisdom and humility made an impact on all those around him. but i hardly know any of the details of those things, because even though my dad was fully committed to his job and his country, his God and his family came first and the stable childhood that gave me are something that i took for granted then, but don't now that i'm a parent myself. there are many, many reasons why i am proud of my dad...and his service to our country is surely one of them.

but, in honor of veteran's day, i thank ALL the veteran's out there...for the service and sacrifice they have made in big and small ways for all of us to have the freedoms that we do. i'm certain we will never know all that has been done for us.

1 comment:

Alden and Dorian said...

I love seeing him through your eyes.....and you are so very right. He did his job EXCEEDINGLY well with humility ~ and it was noticed, BUT he GAVE his life to his Lord and to his family FIRST. He did it well. Thank you for your words ~ DAD teared up reading it...of course. Your dad....we're thankful.