Friday, June 3, 2011

checking off my list...

it's been such a gift to have so much time to prepare for our trip.
it's allowed us to be TOTALLY ready and to even check off some of the "bonus" things on my list.

i even made our summer list!
and, i finished this a couple weeks ago ( i hope i didn't already post about it!) and i love it!

took the idea from ann voskamp - either her blog or book - and made it into our "own."

it's our "thankful basket". it sits in the living room - which is the room with the most LIGHT and tends to be the quietest and cleanest room.
it is full of: kids Bible, normal Bible, our "thankful notebook" (which we used to have on the kitchen counter. we've been writing in it for months. anyone can write in it at any time anything they are thankful for!), a couple books on prayer, another blank notebook if you just want to WRITE, a pen and pencil
i brought the kids in the living room once i had it ready (i spray painted the basket when i spray painted that little table a couple weeks ago). i sat them down and talked to them about "being thankful." and told them ANYtime they want to come in and spend time practicing being thankful, they are welcome. i also told them i might SEND them in there if i feel like they need to be reminded HOW to be thankful. i hope it becomes a sweet place for all of us. being thankful takes LOTS of practice!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I love this. I used to keep a gratitude journal... wrote down 5 things every day. Usually just silly things, but so fun to go back and look at. What a great idea to get the kids involved. My hubby could benefit from it, too! He tends to be a "glass half empty" kind of guy sometimes. Way to focus on the GOOD!

Ali said...

awesome. yes, it does take practice!

Mandy said...

awesome. awesome. awesome.

Kim said...

so cool, and i love it you are so good.
love the count down also fun

Jody said...

GREAT idea! You are such a good Mama! :)

Megan said...

So glad you did a fun project at home! And I didn't know if you would do the summer list this year, so that is great! I was going to steal the idea this year...the kids and I made a list last week and I have poster board waiting on my counter right now. It was fun to make the list with them, and I look forward to doing it too!

Holly said...

I love it!