Tuesday, September 8, 2009

joshua is in kindergarten

he was SO excited.
he and bailey fought ALL DAY.

the bus was supposed to come at 11:28 am.
we went out at 11:20 {just to be safe!}
the bus stop is literally in front of our house...right across the street.



and...about 11:40 am the bus finally came :-)
bailey rode her bike around in circles.
sawyer threw his truck on the ground and grunted at me to get it overandoverandover.
and joshua kept asking, "when will the bus come? why is it late? what time is it? but it was supposed to be here at 11:28!"

it was the LONGEST 20 minutes of my life!


when the door opened, joshua asked, "do i just get on?"
i said, "yes!" {really, my heart was screaming, "NO! just stay HERE!"}
he climbed up.
the bus driver said, "is this JOSHUA??"
i said, "yes!"
she looked to the back of the bus in her mirror and said, "everyone say HI! to joshua! here we go to kindergarten!" {it's only kindergarteners on the bus in the middle of the day...}
she was so fun and welcoming!

and then, as the door was closing, bailey and sawyer and i headed back across the street.
i looked down at bailey and her eyes were full of tears.
big, huge tears that were threatening to fall down her sweet cheeks.
because her big brother just left on a huge bus to go to school.

this is the point where the tears would come.
where i would lose it.
my sweet boy is off to school.
but...
as i turned to try to find joshua in the bus window and my heart is starting to swell, bailey crashed on her bike and started screaming her head off.
in the middle of the street.
with traffic lined up behind the bus watching my whole "scene."
nice.

so i didn't see joshua...and i didn't cry.
i bent over and scooped up a 4 year little girl in my arms.
and comforted her.

we got home and i told her we could do anything she wanted...
she picked play a game on the computer.
not what i was hoping for {maybe a board game...or tea party...or reading books??}
but she got to play a game on the computer.

and i played on the floor with this little guy while helping her figure out how to play and game and also keeping sawyer from messing with the computer and keyboard.

we read a couple books {she got to pick them BOTH!}
and now they are both resting.

10 comments:

Peyton said...

um, I accidentally laughed when I read the part about bailey crashing her bike, it wasn't what I was expecting! sweet little bailey, we are missing you guys this week. can't wait to hear what joshua thought of his first day of school!
ps. their first day of school outfits are adorable

T-Luh said...

Oh goodness...this made me cry! I can't believe Joshua is in school. But I can completely "hear" the excitement in him in the way you told the story. That is so wonderful! Can't wait to hear all about your elementary school kids' first days!!!

jenn said...

What a memorable first day of kindergarten! ;)

Bailey's hair is so long!!

Kim Mattes said...

i was crying for you. so hard to send them off! hope that they had great days! paige asks at least 15 times throughout the morning if it is time to pick holly up from school yet. she misses her so much and i do too!

Kate and Geoff said...

Um. Is it weird that I almost cried? Joshua may in fact be the absolute cutest kindergartener on the planet. for serious. That gap-tooth grin. Holy cow, it does me in.

Michelle said...

Just brings tears to my eyes they are so cute, even poor Bailey falling on her bike.

Beckysblog said...

ok, you didnt cry, but I did.
First just him, then bailey at the computer and then sawyer's head on the couch!
Im done.

Judi said...

Oh my, what a build up to Joshua's first day of getting on the bus to head to Kindergarten. My tears were flowing for you! Courtney, Joshua is one very handsome little guy! As I was looking at the pictures I just wanted to squeeze him! Hope his day was excellent and that he develops a true love for school. Now breathe! Whew, first day done and onto a great year.

Katy said...

seriously? it's like a movie scene courtney! maybe it's better that bailey crashed - otherwise you both may have fallen to pieces anyways. what a story. he looks adorable with his hair all grown up and his new teeth finally growing in. i can't believe you ONLY had 2 kids at home! STRANGE!

Megan said...

Wow. Joshua is in school. Seems crazy, but I guess it is time. The bus wait sounds not super fun. So sweet that he was so excited and also that Bailey was sad. I can just imagine the bike scene. And don't worry, Clay would have chosen a computer game too!