Friday, September 18, 2009

i need help

and i KNOW some of you out there can help me.
you are smarter and more creative and less tired than i am.

i have about $100 left of the money we had set aside when we re-did our family room earlier this year.
we moved our "old" furniture into our living room {that was empty for 2 years} and it looks pretty good in there. eventually, i'd like an area rug in there, to make it more comfortable. {i don't want a "fancy" living room...i'm not "fancy" :-)} but that's not in the budget any time soon.

this is where i need your help.
i want curtains on the front 3 windows in the living room.
but it's tricky.

i LOVE light.
and i LOVE the light that comes in this room.
so, i don't want whatever i end up putting up to make the room dark.

BUT we are on a pretty busy corner.
and once the time changes {in 6 weeks or so??} it's going to be dark earlier and our dining room is right behind the living room (so when people look in those front windows, they will see us eating our nice little dinner at night...which would be fine if we're always happy and calm...but we're not...and some nights i'd like to ensure no one can see what's going on)

so...it needs to be more than just a valance {which is what i'd prefer} to cover the whole window for nighttime.

the other tricky part.
there are 3 of them.
do i do 1 long rod?
or 3 short ones?

and i also have these 2 little ones on the side of the room.
that i don't care so much about being covered {plus they have the plantation shutters on the bottom}
but if all the other windows have something, they'll look so bare!
what do i do with them??

i really like these curtains that are in our study {came with the house! thanks, previous owners!}
and this would be enough coverage for my liking in the living room.
but, again, 1 long rod? would that look silly??
3 short ones??

also, i love these things i used in the family room.
if i put sheer curtains on these hook thingy's, it would make it easy to open and close, right??

ok.
tell me what you think.

remember:
-i have $100 total
-i love light
-but the windows need to be able to be covered at night...and then uncovered during the day...easily {i'm not tying bows or something crazy like that every morning!}

12 comments:

Kate Joyce said...

Ok, first off... thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers. I'm seriously trying to pump myself up for some major bug killing action. There have been so many times here that I say to myself "if I can do THIS then i can do ANYTHING." But seriously, I think this one takes the cake!

Ok... I love your house, the way you decorate and everything about it! Too cute! :) My vote is go for the long rod with 4 sections of curtains. That way it covers it all windows when they are down, but if you want to tie them back then you can have 2 curtains tied in a swing-to-the-side type way on each side and then the 2 small pieces of wall on either side of the middle window you can gather the curtains with a bow or something during the day... so its symmetrical but cute looking when the curtains are down. Good luck understanding that... hmmm wish I could draw a picture or something. But I'm so sure you will come up with something fabulous, you always do! :)

Kate Joyce said...

ok sorry to write again but kinda like this.... (the purple curtains but not purple...obvi)

http://fabulous-k.blogspot.com/2009/09/design-swoon-robyn-karp-interiors.html

Ashley Smith said...

I have the same window problem in my kitchen. I did a long rod then gather them in the middle of each window. I got the fabric at a hobby store and it was like $7 a yard. Then did the trim (which you could do or not do). I keep them pulled in the middle of each window until it gets cold then I pull them shut. Here is my email. Send me an email and I will send you pictures. It was so easy!

ashleysmith@brightok.net

Beckysblog said...

I like Kate's idea. I think it needs something a little heavier like that.
You could do a light almost see through curtain and then a heavier one over...and use a double rod.
Id do one long rod.

Holly said...

one long rod.

looks like shower curtains would work

I'd go with sheer white.

I'm going to search for a blog I read once on cheap adorable curtains and most of the time there were no rods.

(I've made romans shades before, easy but a little time intensitve - cheap for sure!)

veronica said...

Ok so I agree one long rod but needs some substance! Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and look at their curtains, and shower curtains(however, they won't be long enough so you might find a coordinating curtain and sew a wide panel at the bottom). I think four panels but not very wide ones otherwise to bulky. It might be easier if I just walk across the street to explain my idea. I'll try to come on over after all the sports this weekend otherwise I will catch you on Monday!

The Faircloth Five said...

What about roman shades? We have them in our windows all around our kitchen (7 windows in a row) and got them at Target.

Tisha said...

Roman shades would be very pretty on those tall windows. Or sheer-ish type curtains on one long rod.
I know, original since that's what everyone else said!

Tisha said...

Now that I look again, I see they go almost all the way to the floor-you would need some loooooong roman shades! So, nevermind on that suggestion ;-)

beckley said...

oh, i totally want to weigh in but i'm supposed to be gettin gmy parents' room ready. they're on the way from the airport. ad we have the big party tomorrow.

so, more later. i'm a light girl, too :)

oh, and this is totally what i do when my husband is out of town, too. and like move furniture and repaint rooms. you know, after i wonder how i'll survive the basics of every day...yeah.

okay, sheets...neeed to find sheets...

Michelle said...

If you could Roman Shades would be great, but tricky finding them at an affordable price.

sandi said...

Roman shades would be nice and the fabric would add another texture to the room... BUT your windows are long and when they are pulled up during the day not enough light would come in. Since you are asking: if you like the look of a simple valance I would go that route, hidden under the fabric you could hang (very inexpensive) room darkening roller shades ~ you know the ones that snap up quickly. They would be completely hidden from view under the valance. Like you I love light that comes in and rarely pull the blinds. I have bamboo looking roman shades that were less than $25 a window from either Lowes/Home Depot. But my windows are not as long as yours.

Post a pic when you decide what to do.