Friday, June 19, 2009

rainbow cake

i've seen this on a number of blogs over the last few months.
knew i wanted to try it.
and the last day of school/first day of summer seemed as good a day as any.

warning: THIS TAKES TIME!

which i don't have much of.
but, i apparently can find some if i really want to...

you will need 2 boxes of white cake mix.
mix it according to the directions.

divide it into 6 bowls {or however many colors you want to do}

use these...if you use normal food coloring it will be pastel-ish.

aren't the colors FUN!?!?

then bake them...took mine 14 minutes each.
but i did them 2 at a time {only have 2 pans}.
then had to wait for them to cool.
then wash the pans.
and start on the next 2....TIME!

then frost it!
i used my grandma's buttercream frosting recipe:
1 lb confectioners sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
3 T milk

mix it all up.
i doubled it.
but didn't really measure.
so it ended up too runny...

but they still thought it was super fun!
happy summer, sweet kids!!!
i pray we love God and each other and others in new and better ways this summer...

the purple layer looks more purple in person.

i can't wait to test it.
i want to go running when pat {ever} gets home...so i'm waiting...

12 comments:

Beckysblog said...

I am SO making that for Avery, her birthday is Monday.

Thanks for the great idea!

It looks awesome!

veronica said...

fun! But it is no wonder you are stressed! I'll have to try it sometime.

jenn said...

Wow!!

anthonyandbeth said...

i def. want to try this! the kids would love it. you're such a fun mom! :)

Sarah said...

how cool is that cake!?!?!?! happy summer! :)

Holly said...

cute!

been wanting to try it too!

Julie said...

i have never seen it on a blog before... that is so cool.

Katy said...

you're the BEST! Can't believe i've never seen this one before! Definitely going to have to try it...maybe when kim's family comes to visit. next week is VBS, so definitely not next week! :)

Karen Owens said...

looks like lots of fun -- I think you deserve some kind of mothering award :)

Leah said...

I mean come on! Can you say, "SUPER MOM"?! Did you do this with 3 "not well" kids and a cranky mood? I'm going to start to pray I'm more like you.

Judy said...

Maybe we'll do that this week. We need to do something new, but I've only got one of those cake pans. Maybe I need to become a real grown up and have at least two!

Jessica said...

Hi! I'm Leah's friend and I've left a comment before, but I HAD to comment on this! This is such a great idea! I had every intention of making one of these for my daughter's birthday. But by the time I made all the cupcakes for the party, I had no energy left to make the cake as well. But I'm planning on making a red, white & blue cake for the 4th!

Great job, it looks awesome! Who wouldn't want a piece of that? :)