Thursday, May 21, 2009

curtains!

i've been working on these curtains for months in my head.
but finally got them done!
got some inspiration from her blog. {love it!}
and was determined to do it cheaply and quickly.
{if you can sew for real you will hate these...no backing or "proper" curtain making here...}
started and finished last night.
hanging the rods took longer than making the curtains!

started with 1 1/2 yards of fabric. {$27.70}
2 rods. 2 sets of hook ring clippy things. {$55.63 - i hate how much those cost! and from target! but i knew i wanted curtains with not much fabric, so i needed some real hardware to go on those windows!}
thread to match ready on sewing maching {$2.67}

laid the fabric out so that i could make sure it was straight on both ends.
used the grooves in the wood floor to do so :-)
very scientific!

i was making 2 curtains - for the 2 big windows in our family room.
{they haven't had curtains at all up to this point}
the fabric wasn't wide enough.
so i folded it over to make a tri-fold {3 equal pieces}.
and cut.
then i cut one of those pieces in half.
and sewed each half onto the end of the other 2.
now i have 2 longer pieces.

then i folded the bottom and 2 sides edges over 1/4 inch and sewed it. {i'm sure there's a more official word for that...}

then i folded it in half, and then the top half back up a half {did you follow that?} to get this...

while i'm doing this,
this handsome man is doing this...
he's amazing. he thought he was going to get to relax last night and then i sprung this on him.

i hooked those clippy things on.
trimmed the threads off the top that were sticking up
{on the second curtain, i sewed that top part down 1/4 inch...i need to go back and do it to this first one...it looks a little better}

done.
i LOVE them.
i can NOT get a good picture.
the light is so bad in that room.
but i love them.
just enough to be something, but not too much.




and yet another exciting post.
i still need a shower...

8 comments:

Julie said...

great job Courtney... they look really good!

Ali said...

love the fabric! they look great.

Tisha said...

That is exciting! I like the rings they hang on. Unique and pretty.

jenn said...

Cute :)

Holly said...

adorable and perfect for that room!
I didn't even click on the link and I know what blog that is - LOVE her!
my attempt at her techniques were not so pretty - I actually ended up throwing the stuff away (don't do it with that sheer fabric stuff!)

Michelle said...

Nice job Courtney, it looks great!

Christy said...

SO perfect for those windows courtney...I love how you still get so much LIGHT in...and I love that chair at the bottom left!!! :)
xoxoxo

Tammi said...

Wanna know something hilarious? My mom made me curtains for my condo when I bought it in 2003 out of that exact same fabric. I kept them and they moved with me to DC, and although they sit safely in storage at present, I can't wait to rehang them!!

You have great taste!!