Tuesday, March 12, 2013

bailey's new accessory!

this is the "before" -
bailey got a retainer today!
there was definitely some drama. and  1 1/2 hours at the orthodontist was a bit too long for sawyer and levi. but we all made it.
i took her back to school. and prayed for her a lot...knowing it was a BIG deal and lunch would be hard for her. i wore a necklace she made for me awhile ago to remember to pray for her...and so that she would KNOW i was praying for her.

she walked out of the school and BURST into tears. she said she was starving because she couldn't eat ANY of her lunch. i immediately took her to get a smoothie and she was fine the rest of the day.
she is going to be a cranky girl the next few days as she adjusts. and those things poking down from it? they are to keep her from sucking her thumb which is how she falls asleep...every night for the last 7 years. yea, we are in for a few rough days and nights. but we went through the SAME thing with rebekah and we know she will be fine.

she said this evening, "WHY do i have to have straight teeth? i'm fine with my own style of smiling!" what could i say to that?!?

13 comments:

jenn said...

what a big day!

i love her new accessory and i'm sure she'll get used to it soon. i hope!!

she looks so cute :)

{love that anti-suck-your-thumb feature...i have a feeling addie will be needing that - she sucks her thumb to fall asleep too}

love you girlie.

jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Oh boy....I have a feeling this is in Sadie's future. She doesn't suck her thumb, but has those same distinct front teeth. Hope Bailey adjusts quickly!

Katy said...

Sweet Bailey. I like her own style too!!! Hope she's not uncomfortable for too long :(....and hope she can figure out how to eat too!!!

Love youBOTH!!

Christine said...

Austin got his braces on Tuesday, to go along with his expander - and I will probably have my braces on for another year. We are glad to welcome her to our club!

Unknown said...

I saw the anti thumb sucking loops and said a sympathetic "hmmmm." You will have to update us tomorrow!

Carrie said...

Bailey looks super cute! The thumb-sucking thing is hard when they do it to fall/stay asleep. Gaby has sucked her thumb since she was 3 months old (she's almost 3 1/2). The dentist recommended a thumb guard (thumbguard.com). She's been using it for two weeks or so, and I do believe we've almost kicked the habit and her teeth have straightened SO much in just that little time. Gaby only sucks her thumb when sleeping, so we only use the guard at nap and night time. (I know this won't help you, Courtney, but maybe some of the other parents of thumb-suckers).

Holly said...

oh sweet girl...

Leighann said...

ohmygoodness. we are having the roughest time getting Ainsley to stop sucking her thumb. i'm showing her pictures of Bailey's retainer. Poor girl.

Kim Mattes said...

Thinking of you guys tonight! I was a thumb sucker too and it was the HARDEST habit for me to break. i remember so many tears over it. i am praying that it is a smooth transition for all of you!!

Beckysblog said...

what a doll.

Ali said...

Hoping today was a little better and tonight too!

Renee said...

I got a retainer at about that age. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I really wanted to get braces - crazy, I know. She'll get good at eating food in no time. And eventually, I could even chew gum which was a big no-no. The first few times I remember I got it all over the retainer and it was a pain to clean, but eventually I could do it. She'll do great!