Monday, November 12, 2012

supported and loved

when we announced that we were adopting (2!) to our families, we really didn't know how they would feel about it. we were pretty sure they already thought we had enough kids - ha! it wasn't so much the ADOPTING part that we thought would be hard...but the NUMBER of kids that our family would have.

they all reacted great and were so excited.

but we still didn't know how it would REALLY be.

i can say, now, 16 months later, that we have felt SUCH support and love from both sets of our parents. SO SO much more than we could have hoped for! and we've NEEDED it! i don't think either of us realized how HARD this was going to be. and our parents have stepped UP in exactly the ways we've needed.

they listen to us when there are certain things we would rather a certain child not eat/do. and they respect it. they understand that is a way for them to love us and our children. {we let them be grandparents, too!! :-)}

they LOVE our kids. every one of them. with such great love and care.

my mom has listened to me. and listened to me. she's been the one on the other end of the phone when i call crying so hard i can't even speak. her understanding and encouragement has meant the WORLD to me. and been a life raft for me!

they LOVE to spend time with them. they somehow manage to love each of them individually and our kids have such SPECIAL relationships with their grandparents. it is a treasure that is priceless.

our parents both have such STRONG marriages and we are also so thankful for that! EVERY strong marriage that our kids are able to witness is a blessing to us - for them to see examples like that.

this past weekend, pat's parents came and watched our kids for 2 days and 2 nights. they came to our house and stayed. they jumped right in. they know their schedules. i never worried or wondered ONCE while we were gone. what a GIFT!!

and, this morning, my dad came to go to the veterans day assembly at the kids school. it was so special to have him there. and THEN, afterwards, he says, "i brought clothes to change into. i'd like to watch sawyer and levi for you, feed them lunch, and let you have a couple hours to yourself." um. wow! i was torn...between wanting to just BE with my dad...and not wanting to give up an opportunity like that! i did both :-) had an hour or so to myself...and spent some time catching up with my dad.

we are SO supported and loved by our parents and we do not take it for granted. we are so very thankful for each of them and would not be where we are today...as healthy as our marriage is today, especially!...if it weren't for them.

THANK YOU!!!

4 comments:

Tisha said...

So, so sweet and such a gift to you!! I realized the other day, that neither my husband nor myself have a married parent or sibling. ALL divorced! Sad. It makes us feel like we are pretty much on our own! Your words about your parents were very touching. I'm sure very much so for them!

Alden and Dorian said...

Oh my.....how you touched my heart...my mother's heart and my grandparent heart. What kind, gracious words you gave us. Children are a gift from the Lord (Psalm 127:3)and how we cherish that gift. That Easter morning...when you arrived into our joyous arms Courtney....through the years of watching YOU grow, fall in love and bring Pat into our lives......AND then our first grandchild....Rebekah entered our world.....and Joshua, Bailey, Sawyer, Lincoln and Levi. We are blessed.....and LOVE your family. You all bring us SUCH pleasure. We love you....and THANK YOU for your tribute. We love....loving your family.

Unknown said...

Having parents who love each other and model a great marriage is such a huge blessing to me too. I wrote my mom a big gushy letter thanking her for that this year and made her cry.

I also want my kids to grow up with as many examples of loving marriages around them as possible. To see that people with all sorts of personalities can be all kinds of moms and dads and wives and husbands and have greats kids and families is so encouraging for them now and in the future.

What a blessing your mom and dad are for you. Pat's too, but something about your own mom and dad being proud of you as a parent and supporting you along the way... it's priceless.

Leighann said...

It's no wonder that you and Pat are the wonderful, godly people you are given those who raised you. I don't know any of them, but I'm grateful for them too! And love reading about them here....