Wednesday, November 21, 2012

preparations

so. my kids were all home today. i had a long list of preparations for us hosting thanksgiving tomorrow. i was determined to let them help WITH it all, to be a part of it, not to push them away and just do it myself (although it would be done QUICKER and BETTER that way!) but it didn't REALLY matter how beautiful it was, it's their thanksgiving, too! and, mid-morning, when i was SURE they could sense my inner frustration, rebekah says, "mom. can we host thanksgiving EVERY year?" she was LOVING it.

we made butter. all you do it pour whipping cream in a jar and shake. and shake and shake!
{side note: see how they are all in, like, a 3 ft square of space? that's how they are all.the.time. which sounds adorable and sweet. but it's not. because it's always in MY 3 ft square of space. if i go to the basement, they come. if i go to the computer real quick, they come. if i go UPSTAIRS to use the bathroom, at least 2 of them come. it's enough to make me CRAZY!!!!!}
 it REALLY made butter! we didn't taste it. hopefully it's good! {i have backup butter...no worries!}
 they did the centerpiece all on their own (i mean, i showed them WHAT to do, but they DID it!)
 


 it was a LOOOOONNNNGGGG day. thankfully it was nice out and we played outside for some of it.
 i will admit to being SO done by about 3:30 pm. and a lot of it was them. {some was me, but a LOT was them...their arguing. and asking. and complaining. i beat myself up a LOT for being a "bad mom"...but, truly, they make it nearly impossible to remain patient and kind and all those things that i'm not and beat myself up about.}

i was done. i had a headache. so...we went to the gym. i worked out and felt SO much better!!!

came home to dinner and pat home (yay!) and a sweet candle time (finished our thanksgiving book AND had a good talk about their behavior lately.)

pat cut the boy's hair while bailey and i did her christmas shopping!

these days are FULL. but i do love them. cranky kids. cranky mom. all of it. so so thankful for it all.

did NOT get everything done to be ready for tomorrow. but oh well! what needs to get done, will get done!

rebekah and joshua are running a 5k in the morning...then we're hosting thanksgiving lunch! it's going to be a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

once again i feel like you are writing my heart. i am so thankful for you.

Tisha said...

This part - "i will admit to being SO done by about 3:30 pm. and a lot of it was them. {some was me, but a LOT was them...their arguing. and asking. and complaining. i beat myself up a LOT for being a "bad mom"...but, truly, they make it nearly impossible to remain patient and kind and all those things that i'm not and beat myself up about.}"

is EXACTLY how I feel! Most days since my kids are home all the time. haha! Seriously. I take all the blame, but they do make it very, very challenging for me!

I am so impressed you made the time to write this post amidst your preparations. Your table looks really nice! Happy Thanksgiving to you!!