Tuesday, January 10, 2012

act justly, love mercy, walk humbly

this is one of my FAVORITE posts to write. EVER. i'm serious.

i saw something on pinterest (stick with me) months ago. filed it away in my little head. i knew i'd know when the "right" time was to execute it.

this was my inspiration:
day after christmas. SO over all the STUFF and well, just stuff. wanting something of depth to penetrate the few days that we had ahead of us, all together.

this ended up being perfect. for 3 days, our "candle" time focused on this verse,

"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
 Micah 6:8

{a different kid gets to sit with dad on his chair each day. and pat is going to hate this "i just got out of bed" picture. we did our "candle" first thing in the morning that week since we had something going on most every night.}
i had a little "alone" time with our canvas...getting it ready :)
"act justly" - pat used some verses from Proverbs and maybe Jeremiah? to lead them. there are SO many places in the Bible that reference "justice" and "acting justly".

then we put ALL of our handprints on the canvas! all 8 of us!


levi was a team effort. those little baby hands that love to clench themselves.

{HOW much does lincoln want to put his hand/face/anything in that plate full of paint?!?}
"love mercy" - the lesson was a parable that Jesus told. the one about the unmerciful servant. i just painted a heart for that one.

"walk humbly" - the lesson was Philippians chapter 2. my FAVORITE chapter of the Bible.

and we all did a footprint. tricky. oh, yes, it was! but they turned out pretty good!



and it hangs above our front door.
sorry. i couldn't stop taking pictures. i love it so much.
and you see it from so many angles. from the top of the stairs as you come down, and as you go in and out of the door.

i could have made this - and just had them do their hands and feet and they would have no context to WHAT it meant. but now? when they see that...when I see that...i pray we are stopped and reminded to:


Act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God

22 comments:

Rutledge 7 said...

i really LOVE this!!!

Unknown said...

Love this. Guess where I am in my Bible plan tomorrow? Phillipians 2. I will think of you. :)

Five Arrows Farm said...

Love, love, LOVE. Really, really.

Courtney said...

You weren't kidding!!! I LOVE it!!!! How beautiful & perfect- and you know how I feel about that verse! :)

Leighann said...

I love this. I'm also impressed you got all the hands and feet looking like hands and feet! I did the kids' prints in the fall and Ryan's did not turn out beautiful, sad to say. :)

beckley said...

Love that, Court- love it.

And it's cool, in the hebrew the translation is also along the lines (that's my laid back way of saying literally- ha) of walk "Appropriately" with your God.

Sin draws away to a more puffed up version of ourselves, repentance seeks to return us to our true selves, and humility is also translated, "appropriately"- I love that.

anyhow. it's late. $10 that didn't make sense.
=)

Julie said...

love it, I am sorry I don't comment much anymore, I know comment love is encouraging... forgive me... but I do read and love you friend!!!!

Kim Mattes said...

That is so neat! I love it!

Katy said...

I TOTALLY love it!!!! What an awesome way to keep that at the forefront of our minds :)

Katy said...

I TOTALLY love it!!!! What an awesome way to keep that at the forefront of our minds :)

Kelly said...

Ooooooooooh I love it! And I love yours more than the original!!!

Holly said...

so. doing. this.

Grace said...

love, love this project!!! maybe we'll have to do this ourselves...;)

oh, and i passed a silly little blog award on to you if you want to join in :)

Kim said...

love it... have a good day

Deanna said...

WOW! Beautiful! I hope to "steal" the idea as well when we move into our home!

jenn said...

love it all - the verse, the project, AND the front door! :) xoxo

Carrie said...

LOVE this too! Love that you guys walked your kids through the meaning too and then the painting is PRECIOUS!

Thanks for always sharing BUNCHES of great ideas!

Ali said...

It turned out amazing! So fulfills deut 6:9, "write them on the doorframes of you house". Love it

Laura said...

LOVE this, but love even more how real and practical you made it for your kids!!

Amy said...

This is perfect.
And so YOU!

Chrissy said...

I hope you don't mind but I linked up to your post from my blog. I just did this with my kiddos and it's all because I fell in love with YOUR artwork. Thanks. :)

Megan said...

Just awesome Court. Your love of the Lord always inspires, and your ability to pour it into your kids is a gift. Miss you!