Saturday, December 4, 2010

Water Walk

Rebekah made this sign ...
i know...precious.
We gathered at our house and headed out with our empty milk jugs.
It was COLD...maybe 30 degrees...and windy!
20 kids (2 babies in strollers)
9 adults
{my vision was WAY more than this...but it turned out to be PERFECT and JUST the right group for today!}
We walked to the pond in our neighborhood...

When we got to the pond I had everyone gather on this deck so I could talk for a few minutes and really explain what we were doing and why...
{which I didn't like...but who else was going to do it?!?}
After the whole thing was over, I was sad that I didn't have a picture of this part {I had the camera...} and then I got an email from a neighbor that LIVES on the pond and took pictures and emailed them to me! I do NOT know her at all! Isn't that fun?!?
Then the kids filled their jugs with water...
{another pic from the neighbor :-)}




Then we headed out into the neighborhood.
We divided the kids into groups and they knocked on the doors.
They did an EXCELLENT job explaining what we were doing and why...
They were met with lots of encouragement and smiles and money!

Everyone worked very hard and had great attitudes!

I might be a little prejudiced...but I think Bailey was the most persuasive and most likely brought in the most money :-)
Some of the group headed home after that...the rest of us came back for a lunch of rice and CLEAN water.
It was interesting as I served the rice and they asked for parmesan cheese to put on it...or soy sauce...or something.
And I kept saying THIS is what some children are so THANKful for each day...PLAIN rice...
I could see the reality hitting them all over their faces...


And the total???
A little over $1,000!!!
Isn't that amazing?!?
Just from our efforts today!

Praying each person involved is changed...whether they walked...or gave money...or prayed...
Praying that people not only see the need  for clean water...but for the Living water that satisfies our thirst forevermore!

13 comments:

jody said...

SO awesome, Courtney!!!
Love, love, love this idea. With the neighborhood coming together.
Amazing.
Great job.
Much love.

Holly said...

so proud of you Courtney!!!
so so so so proud...

it's an amazing idea, I hope God continues to put it on your heart over and over again.

Alden and Dorian said...

Ohhhhh, that is amazing! You got the word out there ~ the needs of people around the world.....not just in our "little worlds". Very visual....reaching adults and children's hearts. Wow on the amount collected.......and off it will go to help people have CLEAN WATER. Thank you God and Courtney.

Christy said...

You are SO PRECIOUS Courtney----
what a special special day...
Wow, I love you :)

beckley said...

Your kids get to grow up and know you're their mother.


Amazing.

Julie said...

you are such a great mom, WOW...you did such a great job, what a blessing you are to all who took part of today...

Unknown said...

That is wonderful. What a wonderful way for the children (and adults) to "feel" it a little more. Where did you get the idea?

Tammy said...

that is wonderful...way to take and idea and make it a reality. so proud of you

Courtney said...

when i spent a summer in kenya, i lived with a family & one night I treated the youngest daughter(8 or so at the time) to a "dinner out" (hamburger and french fries). I asked her what her favorite food in the whole world was- her answer was rice. nothing on it...just rice.
what an incredible ministry you are doing and what incredible lessons you are teaching your children. I am inspired.

Mandy said...

amazing! tears in my eyes.

Leighann said...

awesome! what a great result.

jenn said...

totally amazing, courtney! great job!

and i LOVE that the neighbor took pictures from across the pond! :)

Megan said...

Wow! I'm so behind on reading I didn't even know to pray for this...but God knew, so I am glad it was a wonderful day. And an awesome way to show the neighborhood the real NEED for clean water. Love how involved are the kids were. I'll mark my calendar for next year's event!