Thursday, December 3, 2009

sometimes the devil gets in my sewing machine

other possible titles for this post:
*crazy lunatic mom
*if one more thing happens...

this is total venting.
just a warning.
and way more details than you probably care to know about my morning.
i just need to get it out.


the day started pretty normal.
i spent the whole evening last night cutting and pinning a pile of shirts.
they were ALL SET to be sewn today.
i planned on spending every spare minute i got down there sewing away.

so, we head downstairs after breakfast/school/shower so they can play and i can sew.
a few minutes into it my machine won't work properly.
i spend the next 2 hours trying to fix it.
i am not a patient person.
this required SO MUCH patience.
i did everything i could think of - cleaned out all kinds of parts, changed the needle...
but i held it together.
even smiled and kindly answered my kids' questions and requests ("mom, can you come wipe me?")

at 10 am i gave up.
i didn't know what else to do.
i looked up a service place for sewing machines.
the closest one i could find is 15 minutes away.
i called them.
she said if it has to be sent OUT to be repaired it'll take a week. but she could try to look at it real quick to see if it's something simple.
{PLEASE let it be something simple!!!}
bailey has ballet from 10:30-11:15 am.
i quickly planned to drop her off, take the sewing machine and PRAY the lady can fix it and get back in time to pick bailey up then let joshua eat his lunch in the car on the way to get him to the busstop at 11:30 am.
:-)
FREAKING!!!!

oh.
did i mention i have an extra 4 year old this morning, too?
yea.
i did.

so, i drop bailey off.
i ALWAYS stay and we just play while she does ballet.
so she wasn't happy.
but i had no choice.
i NEED this sewing machine to work!!!

we head to the service shop and my phone rings.
"just wanted to remind you it's parent observation day at ballet."
my friend kindly tells me :-)
1 day each semester you get to sit in their class.
normally they are behind a closed door.
right.
i'm already halfway to the service shop.
now i feel like the WORST mom ever.
but just keep going with my plan.

get to the shop and the lady isn't there.
she just ran to the bank.
SO close to tears at this point.
but i have 3 little kids staring at me.
{and 1 that's not mine and is wondering how she got into this!}

the lady finally comes.
looks at the machine for 2 minutes.
and somehow it isn't threaded through one of the top parts of the machine!!!!
could i have felt any stupider??
seriously?!?
i messed with all KINDS of stuff inside the machine and NEVER thought to look at the top part!
so.
i feel stupid.
but i'm very grateful it's fixed and we're on our way.

got to see the last 10 minutes of bailey's class
{i drove kinda fast.}
people...DADS were there from work!
{i didn't have my camera..not even the one that's ALWAYS in my purse! it was at home! ugh!}
seriously!

rush home to get joshua on the bus.
he falls in mud 2 seconds before the bus comes.
oh well.

head into the house.
we're locked out.
and Grace {the extra kid} has to pee.
we have a spare key hidden.
but it was just one.more.thing.

make it inside.
make lunch.
Grace leaves.
Bailey and Sawyer down for naps.

and i had a good cry.
man, that felt good.
i haven't cried like that in a LONG time.

i'm good now.
i still haven't gotten any shirts sewn.
but it will get done.
i have to trust that.
and i'm thankful that He got me through this morning.
i think maybe He's growing me.

and, also, i think sometimes the devil gets in my sewing machine.

14 comments:

Katy said...

oh my word courtney. i think you handled all of that way more gracefully than i would have!! i was totally laughing out loud over here reading all about it...because it was one of those days when the next thing happens (like joshua falling in the mud, or bailey's dance class being parent day on the ONE day you don't sit there) - and you just think you're on candid camera or something!!!

Kim Mattes said...

breathe in.
breathe out.
pray.
breathe in.
breathe out.
pray.
keep repeating.
this is what i am telling myself this week and it sounded like you could use the "reminder" too. :) what a rough day (morning) for you! praying for an extra sense of peace and patience for you this afternoon. i am off to clean out big girls rooms. ugh.

Christy said...

oh girl...
I just love you :)

Ali said...

i am sorry but you lost me at the title. i was laughing and understanding all at the same time. my sewing machine drives me crazy at least once every time I use it. hope you have a lot of sewing success tonight.

Leah said...

Wow. I SO wish I had read this before we spoke this afternoon. You are an amazing mom. Really. You ARE!

Leah said...

Wow. I SO wish I had read this before we spoke this afternoon. You are an amazing mom. Really. You ARE!

Leah said...

Wow. I SO wish I had read this before we spoke this afternoon. You are an amazing mom. Really. You ARE!

Leah said...

Wow. I SO wish I had read this before we spoke this afternoon. You are an amazing mom. Really. You ARE!

Amy said...

Wow. I'm pretty sure you got the craziness from more than a couple houses there today. Maybe that's why my morning was relatively stress free? If so... thanks for taking my share! :)

Julie said...

those are such normal days for me... I am sorry. I also feel partly responsible for all your sewing that you need to do.. sorry for getting my order into you so late

sandi said...

my machine has done that before... i threaded it to make a bobbin and kept it that way to sew... was so frustrated. felt really silly (stupid actually) when i figured out how simple the fix would have been if i would have CAMLY looked at the top of the machine!

Anonymous said...

I love that when I asked you this morning how your day went yesterday you said something like pretty good :-).

sandi said...

by the way, i sewed little christmas trees on shirts like you did (saw the schrodt's one year) for the girls last night. meredith wore hers to school today for "deck the halls day" they looked so cute! glad i copied your idea!

Crystal said...

bless your heart. i have had days like that too. we started this morning my aaron dumping 16oz of coffee on my off white carpet so i had to steam clean before 8:15. hope the shirts turned out lovely! :)

thanks for stopping by! :)