Tuesday, November 4, 2008

impress them on your children

"Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deut 6:7

i take these verses pretty seriously.
this is my job.
to impress God's heart (which hopefully is MY heart) on my children.
and i had a GREAT example of these verses today.

Rebekah has the day off school (teacher work day/election day).
so, what to do?
i want the day to be meaningful - not just counting the hours.
but i also don't want to fill it up running around - i want them to be able to just PLAY!
then...this whole clean water thing is consuming me.

so...this morning i sit down with a magazine we recently got that shows a well in a village in Africa and a piece of paper and a crayon to try to explain to my kids how important clean water is. and that some people don't have it. and what that means for their lives.
they paid attention.
they tried to understand. and they did a little bit.
but i could tell it wasn't REALLY getting through.

my mind was racing, "HOW do i get them to GET this???"
and then those verses came to mind. it was going to take ACTION.

so, after we went and voted, we headed to a stream with cups and a bucket.
i had them use the cups to fill the bucket.

all the while asking them, "do you want to drink this?"
"should i use this to wash our clothes?"


and then i made them carry the bucket home.
and we learned some more.
they got WET. it was HARD. the water splashed out!
they laughed. but they also got frustrated.
they learned how to work together to not make the water fall out.

it was only about a 1/2 mile back home.
(the people we passed on the way are probably calling child services on me for making my kids do something so crazy! i didn't even bother explaining. i just smiled :-))

she MUST have seen this in a magazine or something.
and it actually did work pretty well!

"Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deut 6:7

they are outside playing now. with their bikes.
and the first thing rebekah said when we got home (after they changed their clothes and washed their hands) was, "and they don't even have bikes."
it was like she was having an ongoing conversation in her head.
just a part of a sentence.
but her mind is getting it.
she is SO blessed. and she knows it at moments.
they want to give their money from their chores to "clean water".
and that's God heart. and my heart. and now their heart.

18 comments:

Julie said...

Courtney, what a great visual... I know Eli works so much better with a visual... great idea... I know it will make a lasting impression on them... Praise God...

jenn said...

Awesome!

Tisha said...

What a great idea that was!

Christy said...

that was awesome court...I can't wait to use that when kallen gets older---what a GREAT idea...what a precious way to give perspective...its SOOOO hard to have perspective living here, and that was really great...totally sharing that with friends to use with their kids too!!! thank you! love you!!!

Michelle said...

Way to go Courtney, awesome idea.

Cassie said...

LOVE that.
i'm consumed as well. my mind is spinning a million miles an hour trying to think of ideas for classrooms. that is my next assignment. i'm to come up with ideas for teachers to implement in classrooms. if you have any, you know how to reach me! i'd love for you to share!

Cassie said...

hoping you don't mind...i'm linking you. i love this.

jody said...

love it.
thank you.

Unknown said...

love it!! i'm so doing this with my kids! thanks for the great idea!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

courtney...
i love this lesson... i talk about the GIFT of running water with the girls... so hard for them to fully grasp... this is GREAT! i would love to do this too!
just super!

oh and THANKS for asking... i have a Canon XSI... and these two lenses...
EF-S 18-55 lens & EF-S 55-250.
i will say... it is a FUN camera! :)

xo

veronica said...

wow! what a great way to make it real for your kids! I can't wait to do it with mine as well. I think them it will hit home with them as well! You are sooo smart!!

Lisa said...

awesome.

thanks for creatively inspiring the younger ones! xoxo

Beckysblog said...

That is awesome. You just inspired me.

Kate Joyce said...

Courtney! This was SUCH an amazing idea! Hannah has always filled me in on your heart for things like this and its awesome to see you sharing it with the kids!

HandsRaisedToHeaven said...

great idea.

Judi said...

Oh Courtney! I love that you put feet to God's Word. That is a lesson your children will remember for the rest of their lives. And, a lesson for this "oldster" that we constantly need to be actively living God's Word. He gave it to us to live by not to become complacent in our surroundings. Keep up the great work you are doing Momma!!!!

Katy said...

Such a great way to make something so far away be so tangible for them. You are doing a GREAT job at impressing God's ways on their hearts!

Tracy P. said...

Courtney, I found you a long time ago from Debbie's blog, I think. I gave you a little shout today on my blog, mainly because of this post and the one before it. I hope you don't mind. I'm adding you to my blogroll too so I don't forget to stop by. You're a great thinker, so thanks for sharing.